I don't do To Do lists. They depress me. They loom large. I make them endless. I make them long. I make them unwieldy.
But crossing things off feels good. That sense of accomplishment? It's delicious—a beacon of hope.
Whether you like your lists handwritten, on your iPhone, or in your head, a list of accomplished tasks does something to your brain like nothing else. I GOT THAT STUFF DONE.
Enter the To Done List.
Or: SHIT I ACTUALLY DID DO TODAY.
The next time you get to the end of your day feeling defeated try this: sit down and make a list of everything you did accomplish during the day. Everything. When you are someone with chronic illness or young children or just your average person trying to keep it all together, this is an important exercise in remembering you didn't do nothing today. Hell, try it right now. I don't care if you are still lying in bed. You read this, didn't you? Let's do this.
Here's my list so far:
- washed dog bedding
- put on dog's coat
- moved son's laundry to dryer
- reorganized cat food and litter box
- ordered laundry soap
- ordered halloween costume accessories
- emailed one doctor, booked appointment with another
- work-related research project
- photographed items for future blog posts
- put new blanket in dog crate
- chatted with friends for a bit
- talked with my son about weekend plans
- ate breakfast & lunch
- did a load of our laundry
- got dressed, brushed my hair and teeth, and left the house
- picked kids up from school
- took kids to extracurricular activities
- helped kids with homework
- unpacked boxes
- went on a nature walk with one of the kids
- took more photos for family stuff
- moved portable heater/fireplace
- put away china in kitchen
- straightened up in kitchen/dining room
- helped kids with laundry
- ate dinner
- edited photos
- updated family calendar
- dealt with some email stuff
- worked on blog-related work for about an hour (writing, editing, photos, emails, ads, social media etc.)
- repaired iTunes library issues on phone
Oh, and posted to my blog. That, too. Calling this day wrapped. Catch y'all next time. Enjoy the fall colors. Damn trees are showing off like crazy around here.